How Many Calories in Wine?
We all like a nice glass of wine every now and again, some of us more than others, but one thing people often ask is how many calories in wine? Well this page will be able to tell exactly that. And at the same time differentiating between both calories in red and calories in white wine. So whichever is your favourite tipple from Merlot to Chardonnay you will be able to determine the amount of calories these hold before your next indulgence in the lovely grape juice!
The demand for wine is becoming ever higher, I personally worked for an online wine retailer in the United Kingdom last year in 2010 and we were shifting a bottle every four seconds on average and that number goes through the roof around busy times such as the holidays.
Some people enjoy the odd bottle every now and then and some enjoy the odd bottle every evening, the purpose of this page is to help people recognise the number of calories in each glass of wine and the total number of calories in a full bottle so that they can help themselves in calorie counting.
The amount of calories in wine depends on the type of wine that you are drinking, there are different amounts of calories in red wine than there are white wine calories and also these numbers will also differ between the types of red and white wine too.
Below we have listed wines by type, these numbers are taking into consideration one glass of wine containing 5 fl oz.
Calories in red wine
There is generally not much difference in the calories in red wine than there are calories in white wine. Below we have listed the types of red wine and the red wine calories that they contain in descending order per how many calories in a glass of wine:
- Mouvedre - 129 calories in a glass of Mouvedre wine
- Zinfandel - 129 calories in a glass of Zinfandel wine
- Burgundy - 127 calories in a glass of Burgundy wine
- Sangiovese - 126 calories in a glass of Sangiovese wine
- Barbera - 125 calories in a glass of Barbera wine
- Petite Syrah - 125 calories in a glass of Petite Syrah wine
- Cabernet Franc - 122 calories in a glass of Cabernet Franc wine
- Cabernet Sauvignon - 122 calories in a glass of Cabernet Sauvignon wine
- Bordeaux - 122 calories in a glass of Bordeaux wine
- Merlot - 122 calories in a glass of Merlot wine
- Claret - 122 calories in a glass of Claret wine
- Syrah - 122 calories in a glass of Syrah wine
- Pinot Noir - 121 calories in a glass of Pinot Noir wine
- Grenache - 120 calories in a glass of Grenache wine
- Carmenere - 118 calories in a glass of Carmenere wine
- Lemberger - 118 calories in a glass of Lemberger wine
- Gamay - 115 calories in a glass of Gamay wine
- Carignan - 109 calories in a glass of Carignan wine
As you can see the calories in red wine vary slightly in the above list but you can guarantee that you will be consuming at least 100 calories per glass of red wine that you drink! If you have larger glasses or you like to over indulge in wine then of course the amount of calories in wine that you consume can soon add up! Calories in red wine are also effected by the alcohol content as the higher the volume of alcohol the more red wine calories there will be. If you want to be spot on with the amount of wine that you are drinking then use a measuring glass or jug for each of your servings.
Calories in white wine
It is apparent from the above list of red wine calories and the below list of white wine calories that when you are asking 'how many calories are in wine?' there is not an awful lot between the two. Please see below for a list of how many calories in white wine in descending order per how many calories in a glass of wine:
- Pinot Grigio - 122 calories in a glass of Pinot Grigio wine
- Fume Blanc - 121 calories in a glass of Fume Blanc wine
- Semillon - 121 calories in a glass of Semillon wine
- Chablis - 120 calories in a glass of Chablis wine
- Hock - 120 calories in a glass of Hock wine
- Gewurztraminer - 119 calories in a glass of Gewurztraminer wine
- Pino Blanc - 119 calories in a glass of Pinot Blanc wine
- Sauvignon Blanc - 119 calories in a glass of Sauvignon Blanc wine
- Chenin Blanc - 118 calories in a glass of Chenin Blanc wine
- Riesling - 118 calories in a glass of Riesling wine
- Muller Thurgau - 112 calories per glass
- Liebfraumilch - 110 calories per glass
- Zinfandel white - 110 calories per glass
- Chardonnay - 95 calories per glass
In addition there are 122 calories in a glass of Rose wine.
There is a lot to be said for drinking a glass of wine a day as far as health benefits go but over indulging and drinking a bottle a day is in no way recommended. Alcohol is not good for those that want to lose weight and this can be said because of the large amount of calories that various wines contain. Red wine comes more highly recommended for your health because of its antioxidants. If you like your wine then the best thing to do to make sure that you get less calories, is to drink wine with a lower alcohol volume.
How many calories in a bottle of wine
The first thing you will need to realise is that the amount of calories will vary depending on the type of wine, as both of the above lists will show you on calories in white and red wine. Every bottle of wine should have nutritional information on the label and this should tell you the number of calories in each glass of wine from the bottle and of course the amount calories are in the bottle of wine in it's entirety.
On this page we have highlighted calories in wine per glass, but this can easily be broken down to find out the calories per bottle of wine. For example, going by the above table if you have a bottle of red Merlot wine that is 750ml in size (this equates to 25.4 oz) then you can work out how many calories are in the wine as follows:
One 5oz glass of Merlot wine has 122 calories, so there are just under 25 calories per 1oz, to be exact 24.4 calories per 1oz(122/5), 25.4oz x 24.4 comes to 619.76 calories in a bottle of Merlot wine.
The same calculation can be used to determine the number of calories in a bottle of wine for any type of wine.
Here is another example using the above Chablis wine from the calories in white wine list:
One 5oz glass of Chablis wine has 120 calories so there are 24 calories exactly per 1oz of the wine(120/5), 25.4oz x 24 comes to 609.6 calories.
As you can see from the above calculations and lists for red and white wine, there are relatively few calories for you to consume if you have the odd glass of wine a day, but by drinking a bottle the calories can really mount up and thus severely effect your daily calorie intake.
The safest thing to do when counting calories in wine is to always measure your serving before putting it in the glass and drinking it, that way you will always be able to keep count of the calories that you are taking in.
Any feedback can be left on our Facebook page.