How Many Calories in Milk?
Milk is a very popular dairy product that is consumed on it's own as a drink, or as an ingredient to many other things, by millions around the world each day. Milk calories largely depend on whether the milk is skimmed, non-fat, full fat, soy, coconut, amongst various other types of milk. This page is going to simply answer the question 'how many calories in milk?' for you.
If you are somebody who drinks milk regularly and who enjoys it in various hot drinks, you may also find the following pages useful.
How many calories in a glass of milk?
It is all very well asking how many calories in a glass of milk, but what type of milk do you actually mean? There are various different types of milk, all of which have a different amount of calories in them. Take a look at the list of milks that we have below in order to have your question answered specifically to the type of milk it is that you drink.
One important thing to remember is that the milk calories found in any product can be obtained by looking at the nutritional details on the label. This may vary from product to product, so it is always worth checking this out before you have a drink.
How many calories in skimmed milk?
Skim milk is milk that has had all of the cream and fat from whole milk removed from it. Below we have shown you how many calories in skim milk, or skimmed milk if you are from the UK, in a variety of different quantities.
- In an 8 fl oz glass of skim milk there are approximately 90 calories
- In 1 fl oz of skim milk there are approximately 11 calories
- In 10 ml of skim milk there are approximately 4 calories
Due to having the fat and cream removed from it, skim milk by and large has the least milk calories in it.
How many calories in reduced fat milk, or 2% milk?
Whereby skim milk has had all of the fat and cream removed from it, making it non-fat milk, reduced fat milk still has a small amount left in it. Let's now look at how many calories are in reduced fat milk.
- In an 8 fl oz glass of reduced fat milk there are approximately 122 calories
- In 1 fl oz of reduced fat milk there are approximately 15 calories
- In 10 ml of reduced fat milk there are approximately 5 calories
Due to their being that little bit of fat in reduced fat milk, there are obviously going to be more reduced fat, or 25, milk calories found in it. The examples above prove this.
How many calories in whole milk?
Now we come to whole milk, or full fat milk as it is also called. This is milk has 3.25% fat to it, and is going to be higher in calories than both skim milk and reduced fat milk. Below we have highlighted how many calories in whole milk.
- In an 8 fl oz glass of whole milk there are approximately 148 calories
- In 1 fl oz of whole milk there are approximately 18 calories
- In 10 ml of whole milk there are approximately 6 calories
The higher the fat content of the milk, the more it goes from milk to cream. We have mentioned here that whole milk has 3.25% fat to it, but this can range all the way up to 80% fat which is essentially butter, with things like 25% medium cream and 36% heavy whipping cream in the middle. Due to the extra fat content you are consuming more whole milk calories than the lesser versions skim and reduced fat already covered above.
How many calories in soy milk?
Soy milk is a type of milk that is made from soybeans and is found traditionally in Chinese and Japanese cuisine. Soy milk is made by grinding soybeans into water. Although soy milk does have a high protein content like the milk found from cows, it does have other nutritional differences, and it is used as an alternative to cows milk. But how many calories are in soy milk?
- In an 8 fl oz glass of plain soy milk there are approximately 90 calories
- In 1 fl oz of plain soy milk there are approximately 11 calories
- In 10 ml of plain soy milk there are approximately 4 calories
Soy milk is a great alternative to dairy milk, suiting those who are lactose intolerant and also people who do not drink dairy milk due to it coming from an animal. As you can see there is an identical amount of soy milk calories to those found in skim milk
How many calories in coconut milk?
Now we come to another common type of milk, coconut milk. It may not be too big of a surprise that coconut milk comes from the grated meat of the coconut fruit, but how many calories in coconut milk? Coconut milk is notoriously rich in oil, and has a high calorie content, please see the examples below.
- In an 8.5 fl oz glass of canned coconut milk there are approximately 467 calories
- In 1 fl oz of canned coconut milk there are approximately 58 calories
- In 10 ml of canned coconut milk there are approximately 20 calories
- In an 8.5 fl oz glass of raw coconut milk there are approximately 550 calories
- In 1 fl oz of raw coconut milk there are approximately 65 calories
As you can see there are many more coconut milk calories to be wary of than there are calories found in the other varieties of milk. As the coconut fruit is highly nutritious, so is the milk that it provides, to find out more about coconut milk benefits please click here.
How many calories in almond milk?
Almond milk is a type of milk that is produced from the grating of the almond nut. Unlike milk that is produced from animals, almond milk does not hold any cholesterol or lactose. This makes it popular with those seeking a healthy alternative to milk, vegetarians and also those that are lactose intolerant. It can also come in various flavors as well. In this section we cover how many calories in almond milk.
- In an 8 fl oz glass of almond milk there are approximately 59 calories
- In 1 fl oz of almond milk there are approximately 7 calories
- In 10 ml of almond milk there are approximately 3 calories
The above examples show that there are in fact fewer almond milk calories than there are in the lesser calorie milk, skim milk.
Milkshake is without a doubt one of the most popular milk-related products, but how many calories does a milkshake have in it? This next section is going to highlight all you need to know when it comes to milkshake calories.
Calories in milkshake from Burger King
If there is one place that you are likely to get yourself a milkshake from it is a fast food venue such as Burger King. Let's take a look at how many calories are in a milkshake from Burger King.
Vanilla milkshake from Burger King
How many calories in a vanilla milkshake?
- Medium size / 1 pint - 743 calories
- Small size / 12 fl oz - 558 calories
- Large size / 1 pint 4 fl oz - 930 calories
- 1 fl oz - 46 calories
- 25 ml - 39 calories
Chocolate milkshake from Burger King
How many calories in a chocolate milkshake?
- Medium size / 1 pint - 783 calories
- Small size / 12 fl oz - 588 calories
- Large size / 1 pint 4 fl oz - 980 calories
- 1 fl oz - 49 calories
- 25 ml - 41 calories
Strawberry milkshake from Burger King
How many calories in a strawberry milkshake?
- Medium size / 1 pint - 655 calories
- Small size / 12 fl oz - 492 calories
- Large size / 1 pint 4 fl oz - 820 calories
- 1 fl oz - 41 calories
- 25 ml - 35 calories
Slimfast milkshake calories
Slimfast is another popular brand of milkshake, as people attempt to cut their calorie intake using the products from this well known weight loss brand.
- In an 11 fl oz can of Slimfast creamy chocolate milkshake there are 190 calories
- In 1 fl oz of Slimfast creamy chocolate milkshake there are 17 calories
- In 25 ml of Slimfast creamy chocolate milkshake there are 15 calories
We hope that this section has been able to help highlight the calories milkshake contains.
Milk nutrition facts
The following milk nutrition facts are based on a 244 g cup of whole milk 3.25% fat.
- Vitamin A - 249.0 IU
- Vitamin B1 (Thiamin) - 0.1 milligrams
- Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) - 0.4 milligrams (26% of the total you need in a day)
- Vitamin B3 (Niacin) - 0.3 milligrams
- Vitamin B5 (Pantothenic acid) - 0.9 milligrams
- Vitamin B6 - 0.1 milligrams
- Vitamin B9 (Folate) - 12.2 micrograms
- Vitamin B12 - 1.1 micrograms (18% of your RDA)
- Vitamin C - 0.0 milligrams
- Vitamin D - 97.6 IU (24% of the total needed in a day)
- Vitamin E- 0.1 milligrams
- Vitamin K - 0.5 micrograms
- Choline - 34.9 milligrams
- Betaine - 1.5 milligrams
- Calcium - 276.0 milligrams (an impressive 28% of the total calcium needed in a day)
- Copper - 0.0 milligrams
- Iron - 0.1 milligrams
- Magnesium - 24.4 milligrams
- Manganese - 0.0 milligrams
- Phosphorus - 222 milligrams (a useful 22% of he total needed per day)
- Potassium - 349.0 milligrams (a notable 10% of your RDA)
- Selenium - 9.0 micrograms (13% of your recommended daily allowance)
- Sodium - 97.6 milligrams
- Zinc - 1.0 milligrams
- Protein - 7.9 g (16% of your RDA)
- Cholesterol - 24.4 milligrams
- Dietary Fiber - 0.0 g
- Carbohydrates - 12.8 g
- Water - 215 g
- Total fats - 7.9 g (of which 4.6 g is saturated fat)
- Sugars - 12.8 g
The RDA/RDI mentioned in this list applies to the average male adult, and can vary due to age, gender and individual requirements for medical reasons.
Find out a great deal more about all of the nutrients that have been listed above, by checking out our vitamins and minerals menu. We have a page for each one telling you exactly what positive contributions they make to your health, and highlighting all of the other foods that they can be found in.
As you have seen there is more to just asking how many calories in a glass of milk, and we hope that you have been able to have that question answered to suit the type of milk that you enjoy drinking.
Thank you for taking the time to read our page on how many calories in milk, we hope that you have found the information that you were looking for. While you are online why not take a look at all of the other free information that we have on calories in foods, highlighted by the categories in the menu down the left hand side of the page.
Having looked at milk calories you may also be interested in calories in coffee and also calories in tea. If you are interested in calorie counting and weight loss then have a look at our blog which is regularly updated with free and useful information on the subject.