How Many Calories in Potatoes?
Potatoes are arguably the most popular and versatile vegetable of them all, but how many calories in a potato? This page is designed to not only answer that question but also to provide broader information on the topic by letting you know all about calories in sweet potato, mashed potato and also in baked potato. As far as potato calories go this page is all that you need in order to find out just how much or how little of this delicious food that you can eat if you are calorie counting. With the sweet potato being a very popular type of potato we have an additional section on sweet potato nutrition as well.
If you are not just looking for calories in potato and want to find out information on calories in other vegetables, please click here for our page dedicated to a wide range of these.
The potato is without a doubt one of the most versatile vegetables that are available to us and they are enjoyed in millions of households every single day of the year in one form or another. They can be enjoyed boiled, baked, fried, mashed, roasted and they compliment almost any meal. However, it is not always clear how many calories are in potato as they are often prepared in so many different ways using other ingredients. This page is going to let you know about potato calories in this the main ingredient.
How many calories in baked potato?
First of all we are going to let you know how many calories in a baked potato. We all know that the jacket spud is something that can be enjoyed with a whole range of different ingredients and toppings that makes it a very popular main meal and snack as well. What we are displaying below are baked potato calories without the dressings such as butter and cheese.
- Small 5 oz baked potato with skin and salt - Approximately 130 calories
- Medium 6 oz baked potato with skin and salt - Approximately 160 calories
- Large 10.3 oz baked potato with skin and salt - Approximately 175 calories
- 1 oz of baked potato with skin and salt - Approximately 25 calories
- 10 g of baked potato with skin and salt - Approximately 9 calories
- Medium 5.5 oz baked potato flesh without salt or skin - Approximately 147 calories
- 1 oz of baked potato flesh without salt or skin - Approximately 25 calories
- 10 g of baked potato flesh without salt or skin - Approximately 9 calories
When you are adding extra toppings onto your baked potato such as butter, cheese, beans, bacon, sour cream and chive, to name but a few, you are increasing the amount of calories in your potato considerably. For instance some loaded potatoes that you can get as sides in restaurants come with up to 1,000 calories.
How many calories in boiled potatoes?
One of the most common ways for a potato to be prepared and eaten is by boiling them, so now let's look at boiled potato calories.
- In a 2.8 oz serving of boiled potatoes with or without the skin, there are 68 calories
- In 1 oz of boiled potatoes with or without the skin, there are 25 calories
- In 10 g of boiled potatoes with or without the skin, there are 9 calories
French fries calories
We couldn't have a page on calories potatoes contain without covering french fries calories. Check out the information below if you are interested in finding out how many calories are in french fries.
- In a small 3 oz portion of average french fries, cooked with oil there are 271 calories
- In a medium 4.7 oz portion of average french fries, cooked with oil there are 427 calories
- In a large 6 oz portion of average french fries, cooked with oil there are 539 calories
- In a 1.1 oz kid's portion of McDonald's french fries there are 101 calories
- In a small 2.5 oz portion of McDonald's french fries there are 231 calories
- In a medium 4.1 oz portion of McDonald's french fries there are 380 calories
- In a large 5.4 oz portion of McDonald's french fries there are 500 calories
How many calories in potato chips?
Now let's look at the calories found in another popular version of the potato, potato chips calories.
- In 1 oz of original baked Lay's potato chips there are 120 calories
- In 1 oz of barbeque baked Lay's potato chips there are 120 calories
- In 1 oz of Lay's sour cream and onion potato chips there are 160 calories
- In a 1 oz packet of classic Lay's potato chips, there are 160 calories
Remember that the calories found in potato products such as potato chips can vary depending on the manufacturer that makes them. It is always a good idea to check the label of any product to find out exactly how many calories are found in them.
How many calories in mashed potatoes?
In our next section we are going to answer the question 'how many calories in mashed potatoes?'. We all know that mashed potato is much more tasty when it has margarine and milk added to it, but remember this is only going to increase the number of mashed potato calories. Below we have shown examples of mashed potato both with and without these extra ingredients.
- A 7.5 oz serving of mashed potato with marge and milk has approximately 240 calories
- 1 oz of mashed potato with marge and milk has approximately 32 calories
- 10 g of mashed potato with marge and milk has approximately 11 calories in
- A 7.5 oz serving of mashed potato without marge and milk has approximately 225 calories
- 1 oz of mashed potato without marge and milk has approximately 30 calories
- 10 g of mashed potato without marge and milk has approximately 10 calories in
We hope that you have found this section useful and that you are now aware of how many calories in mashed potato.
How many calories in sweet potato?
Another very popular type of potato is the sweet potato and there are loads of people that want to know how many calories in a sweet potato? This section is going to give you an insight into sweet potato calories so that your curiosity is cured! We even have the addition of calories in sweet potato pie and also calories in sweet potato fries.
Calories in baked sweet potato
- A small baked sweet potato with skin has approximately 55 calories
- A medium baked sweet potato with skin has approximately 105 calories in
- A large baked sweet potato with skin has approximately 165 calories
- 1 oz of baked sweet potato with skin has approximately 27 calories in
- 10 g of baked sweet potato with skin has approximately 10 calories
Calories in boiled sweet potato
- A medium boiled sweet potato without skin has approximately 114 calories in
- 1 oz of boiled sweet potato without skin has approximately 23 calories
- 10 g of boiled sweet potato without skin has approximately 9 calories in
Sweet potato pie calories
- *There are approximately 250 calories in sweet potato pie serving of 1/8 of the pie.
If you have never tried sweet potato fries then you should as they taste absolutely fantastic, however if you are someone looking for information on sweet potato fries calories then this is covered below:
- A 5 oz serving of sweet potato fries has approximately 470 calories in
With the sweet potato being a very popular food choice across North America, especially around Thanks Giving time we have added an extra section below on sweet potato nutrition so please be sure to check that out to see all of the many nutritional benefits that can be obtained from eating this sought after spud. We hope that this section has answered the question 'how many calories in sweet potato?' for you.
Sweet potato nutrition
In this final section of the page we are going to provide you with some information on sweet potato nutrition. The sweet potato is a very popular type of potato but with the word 'sweet' in, it automatically sets alarm bells ringing for anyone that is health conscious, or who is on any form of diet. When it comes to counting calories a cautious approach is always a wise one so searching online for sweet potato nutritional information is a good idea.
These are the vitamins and minerals that can be obtained from consuming one medium sweet potato with skin
- Potassium - 542 mg
- Phosphorus - 62 mg
- Magnesium - 31 mg
- Calcium - 43 mg
- Sodium - 41 mg
- Iron - 0.79 mg
- Selenium - 0.2 mg
- Manganese - 0.567 mg
- Zinc - 0.36 mg
- Copper - 0.184 mg
- Vitamin C - 22.3 mg
- Niacin - 1.695 mg
- Vitamin B1 (Thiamin) - 0.122 mg
- Vitamin B2 (riboflavin) - 0.121 mg
- Vitamin B6 - 0.326 mg
- Pantothenic Acid - 1.008 mg
- Folate - 7 mcg
- Vitamin A - 21,909 mg
- Vitamin K - 2.6 mcg
- Vitamin E- 0.81 mg
- Fiber - 3.8g
- Protein - 2.3g
As you can see there are many benefits as far as sweet potato nutrition goes so as long as you avoid loading your sweet potato with calorie filled dressings, you can keep your calorie count down and also get many of the essential vitamins and minerals that you need each day.
There is so much more to our site than just information on calories in sweet potato so please take the time to look around while you are online at all of the free information that we have available. Other pages that you may find interesting are our pages on calories in fruit and also calories in vegetables. Potatoes are a food that is renowned for being high in carbohydrates, if you want to find out more about carbohydrate foods please click here.